1,000 online professionals surveyed in December 2012: "We are sitting on a goldmine when it comes to our online presence; but we are managing it like a coalmine."
- Ensure customers can quickly and easily complete their top tasks.
- Make decisions based on evidence and facts, not opinions. ... If you can't meassure it, you can't fix it.
- Identify our customers’ top tasks based on what they do, not on what they say they do.
- Keep content as concise and simple as possible.
- Act on customer feedback and behavior — don't simply collect and observe it.
"We feel that professional management is grossly lacking, that there is a chasm between online professionals and senior managers. That we lack the resources to do even the basics such as updating and removing content. Many of us feel that organizational ego is what drives decision-making. … Our first job is to make our organizations Internet-ready. We need good metrics." One key metric is task completion, we have to ensure that customers can quickly and easily complete their tasks.
See: Performance metric http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Performance_metric